French Laundry, the Cookbook, Not Restaurant

What does a poor, currently broke (too much dining out I think) pastry cook buy with the last of her cash? The French Laundry Cookbook by Thomas Keller, that's what. I've been eyeing this tome ever since I discovered it years ago. At $50.00, it's not something I would just waltz right in and buy, but I had a coupon from Borders for 40% off in my email and since there's a store a block away from work, I bought it. It didn't help that my co-worker told me that she was going to go buy a book she wanted, which is how the seed was planted. So, I printed out my coupon at work and ran over on my break. I was originally looking for Essence: Recipes from Le Champignon Sauvage by David Everitt-matthias, but they still don't have it in. The French Laundry . . . I would look through the book whenever I went to the bookstore and daydream of food. And now that I have it, I don't know, the anticipation is gone. It sits on my kitchen cart, still in the shrink wrap. I keep thinking I really can't afford it and that I should take it back and wait for payday. But isn't that how the world of money works, when you're out of cash, you get a coupon that allows you to afford something you really want or need, but it expires before next payday?

Anyway, enough bellyaching. I had to roll out puff pastry dough today on the sheeter and let's just say I prefer to roll it out by hand. I understand that it's more efficient, but I get a better feel for the dough when my hands are in it. It looked not too good. I did a better job when I was at school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L2O Pain au Lait Rolls

Key Lime Pie

Taste of Chicago