The End of Summer

Summer, where have you gone? In between sleepless nights and long workdays, I have lost a large chunk of my year. It started out promising with the first day of the Farmers Market, and ended up here. Me, sitting in front of my computer scratching my head wondering what, exactly, have I done?

I've been to the Market outside my window twice. Yes, twice. Though many a Saturday morning I have found myself (as on many other mornings) awake twisted in my sheets, hearing the first trucks pull in and start setting up. And when the sun starts to make an appearance, I fall asleep, only to wake a few hours later just in time to shower and head off to work. I did manage to go to the Green Street Market. Once. And was too tired really to be impressed with anything. I actually bought something, not because I really wanted to cook and eat it, but because I felt I was supposed to. What little produce I did manage to buy died on my counter or in my fridge. I am ashamed.

My birthday. Yes, who can forget last year's wonderful birthday cake, chocolate and hazelnut that I shot before sharing it with friends. This year I was in the emergency room the day before the event quite ill, but still in the game. I didn't get to celebrate the way I wanted to, let alone bake myself a spectacular dessert. A friend at work baked me delicious cupcakes. I did, however, manage to find a great peanut butter brownie recipe which I baked before summer for a friend's birthday. They were so good, I had to bake them twice again on request.

I also managed to go see my family at the end of the summer. Not a lot of photos were taken this year. I enjoyed other blogs and thought of some wonderful delights which I quickly jotted down and sketched out on many slips of paper and bar napkins, which I'm sure are accumulated in a box somewhere in the closet from one of my just-get-it-out-of-sight-and-deal-with-it-later cleaning schemes.

I need to be more organized, more proactive, more energetic. I need to face the new season with renewed vigor (renewed? since when, last year?) and start baking my apple bread and gingerbread, pies, wonderful, spicy rich treats. Maybe if I start taking vitamins tomorrow I'll be ready in a couple of weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Key Lime Pie

L2O Pain au Lait Rolls

You Bake Cakes All Day?