A Night with the Stars

Tonight I went with my chef to represent pastry for an off-site event. There were celebrity chefs from the Food Network as well as local chefs. It was an all out event, there was a Chinese woman dancing a traditional dance, they even had a white dragon dancing from the first room where they had the savory food, silent auctions, and entertainment to the second room where we had desserts and a live auction. After setting up and going over the game plan, Chef and I went walking about to see the sights. We separated and as I wandered over to the other side of the hall, glimpsing Ming Tsai, I heard a familiar voice. I look up and guess who turns around . . . Iron Chef America Cat Cora! We chat, she offers me some of her dish, I compliment her, and as I turn away, I see none other than Giada De Laurentiis! There are so many people in the area, I figure I didn't have a chance to go see her before I had to finish setting the food out by 7:30. I made my way to our corner and speak to the other chefs from the restaurant and make my way back past Giada. I see that she is talking to a couple of women so I wait to speak to her. I told her that I watched her show every day after culinary school. She asks me how I like working in a kitchen and I tell her that I'm in pastries and she mentions that she initially went to school for pastries but ended up in savory. We shook hands a couple of times and I never got the feeling that she was looking past me for someone else to come along. She's so personable and nice. Later in the night, as I'm walking back to the kitchen for something else to fill our table, a man approaches. He looks familiar. As he passes me, our eyes lock, he pauses in his conversation to the man next to him, and turns his head to watch me pass. Then it dawns on me. Tyler Florence and I had a moment! At the end of the night, I take him some of our pastries, introduce myself, tell him where I work, it's nice to meet him, etc, all calm and cool. While packing up, I feel a hand at my elbow. Tyler came over to tell me that it was delicious and to thank me. By the time I got back to work, and later at home, my head was spinning. I had a wonderful time, working and meeting famous chefs.

Now I'm home, resting my weary bones, trying to figure out what I'm going to eat, since I haven't bought any groceries in a while. Sigh.

It's time for me to take my head from the clouds, get a bite to eat, relax, and sleep, if I can. I know I didn't do the night justice in my retelling, and I'll remember more details later, but I had to get it down before I go to sleep.

No, I didn't take any photos. I didn't take my camera, I figured I'd be too busy working anyway. I'll do better next time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello my niece. I see you have been net working but in a suttle kind of way. Someone is going to recognize you little lady. You are in your own way, a phenominal little woman! I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work. I hope one day you will be able to create my wedding cake! (we all know thats a joke) You take care and keep up the good work! Love you lots!

Popular posts from this blog

L2O Pain au Lait Rolls

Key Lime Pie

Taste of Chicago