After a Day of Success . . .

I tried my second batch of gingerbread souffles. This time, they didn't rise as much and they were a bit too sweet, due to the increase of sugar for the Italian meringue. I'm still messing with the recipe. But at least the gingerbread base is really good.

I don't know about you, but I am ready for the snow. I look outside and see the bare streets and wonder, where is all the snow? While on the one hand, I'm glad that I don't have to walk to and from work with snowflakes being blown into my face, but at the same time, it's difficult to be excited about baking when it's unseasonably warm outside. I want to bake rich, spicy cakes and loaves of crunchy, toasty bread, but even with the window open, it still gets too warm in my home, ruining the effect.

Sometimes I think about baking a sweet potato pie, but other than that, I can't seem to get into the mood for Thanksgiving. Looking at the forecast, there may be some snow on Saturday, but with the high temps, it looks like it'll be more rain than the frozen stuff. I haven't even been in the mood for hot cocoa, let alone baking more than the occasional pizza, or experimenting with souffle recipes. November 13th, the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink at Millennium Park is supposed to open, but with temps in the lower 50's and upper 40's, well, I can't see myself lacing up my skates next week.

What's a girl to do in the meantime? I guess I could turn on the a/c (I haven't found anyone to take it out of the window yet) and snuggle under the covers with a cup of cocoa and pretend while I watch wintery movies on DVD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L2O Pain au Lait Rolls

Key Lime Pie

Taste of Chicago