un jour de chocolat




This post is old. I regret that I missed the sell by date (or is it post by??) but here it is. (Please excuse any errors or bad prose, I'm out of practice-ahem, mom).

Last Saturday, I took a nice little trip, by train and bus, and a bit of a walk to Barnes & Noble to use a coupon for an extra 15% for card members (10% standard). I was going to treat myself to a dessert cookbook since I don't have any. Yes, I know, a pastry chef with no dessert cookbooks. I should be, and am, ashamed. Anyway, after a quick search through the dessert section, I carried a nice pile of books to a comfy chair. Within a few minutes, I had it narrowed it down to two books and before I opened either one, I knew that the decision was going to be a tough one. "Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme" and "La Maison du Chocolat" (I barely remember the title). Let's just say that it took me about an hour to decide which one to take. Price was not an option: they differed by $5. The photos were equally tempting, I wanted to lick pages. It was difficult saying no, but "Pierre" won out.



After my purchase, I stopped by Vanille Patisserie, a French pastry shop I'd visited almost a year ago with my dad. For some reason, things weren't as perfect as I'd remembered. I don't know if it was the cloudy day, or what, but the items in the glass case weren't as "dazzling." The perfect glaze on the desserts was marred by bubbles. But it was chocolate and I had seen perfection and, well, I couldn't say no. I bought the Sophia this time, fighting the urge to get the Manjari again, along with Le Brownie and everything else I could carry.

Made it home, took photos, ate half of the dessert, then the other half, then went to work, where I discovered I was early (they'd cut my hours, long story). I'm glad last week is over. Ready for the next one.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to Chinatown and try a new restaurant with my friend. I'm charging my batteries and putting the camera by the door. Hope to have something good to post soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Key Lime Pie

L2O Pain au Lait Rolls

You Bake Cakes All Day?